Lifespan Newport Hospital
Founded and funded by Newporters in 1873, Newport Hospital began as a 12-bed cottage hospital on donated land. In an era when most of the sick were cared for at home, a hospital was deemed a necessity for those whose homes were elsewhere: fishermen, military and others who worked the bay and ocean. Since its opening the hospital has enjoyed the continued support of the community. In 2000, we opened a new wing, acquired sophisticated technology and equipment, and renovated inpatient units to offer more comfort and privacy to patients.